Sleep expert shares top tips on how to set up bedroom to get the best night’s sleep
The US military developed the sleep technique to help tired soldiers fall asleep any time, even with the sound of gunshots in the background.
While the method comes from a 1981 book called Relax and Win: Championship Performance, many people are learning about it on popular social media app TikTok.
Fitness coach Justin Agustin shared how to do it with his 1.9 million followers.
While he advises practicing the technique every night for six weeks, he claims 96 percent of people who master it are able to fall asleep within two minutes of shutting their eyes.
Justin, who described the technique as “mind-blowing” explained: “According to my research, this was developed mainly for fighter pilots who need 100 percent of their reflexes and focus, which we all know decreases with lack of sleep.
READ MORE The ideal bedroom temperature to get a good night’s sleep for older adults
“It’s quite simple”
The military sleep method
1. First, according to Justin, you need to calm your body and systematically relax and shut down each part of your body from head to toe
He said: “Start by relaxing the muscles in your forehead. Relax your eyes, your cheeks, your jaw and focus on your breathing.”
2. Now, go down to your neck and your shoulders. Justin said: “Make sure your shoulders are not tensed up. Drop them as low as you can and keep your arms loose to your side, including your hands and fingers.
One supplement may improve your sleep, mood and heart health, says nutritionist[EXPERT ADVICE ]
Posture expert recommends two ‘magic’ sleeping positions for a healthy spine[EXCLUSIVE ]
Your tummy could hold the key to a good night’s sleep[INSIGHT]
@justin_agustin Technique to falling asleep in 2 minutes! Insp. AsapSCIENCE on YT #sleep #fallasleep #insomnia #insomniac #learnontiktok #howto ♬ You – Petit Biscuit
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
“Imagine this warm sensation going from your head all the way down to your fingertips.”
3. Take a deep breath and slowly exhale, relaxing your chest, your stomach down to your thighs, knees, legs and feet.
Justin said: “Again, imagine this warm sensation going down from your heart all the way to your toes.”
4. Clear your mind of any stresses. Justin recommended thinking of two scenarios:
- You’re lying in a canoe on a calm lake with nothing but a clear blue sky above you.
- You’re lying in a black velvet hammock in a pitch black room.
Justin added: “At any time when you start thinking of anything else or you start getting distracted, repeat these words for ten seconds – ‘Don’t think. Don’t think.’”
The NHS advises seeing a GP if:
- changing your sleeping habits has not worked
- you have had trouble sleeping for months
- your insomnia is affecting your daily life in a way that makes it hard for you to cope
Source: Read Full Article